During my internship experience, I built a high-fidelity prototype for a mobile application that helps people with MID (mild intellectual disability) to manage their budget wisely.
The target group of this project is people between 18 and 24 years old with MID. A lot of target users are in debt in the Netherlands.
For this project, I managed four roles.
- Desk research on the target group, the functionality of the application, etc
- Design prototypes (from low-fidelity to high-fidelity)
- Design visual aids for the presentations
- Conduct usability testings
Understanding the detail
During the research phase, my desk research covered understanding the target group, case studies, and possible functionalities for the target users. The below shows the snippet of my research.
The key takeaways are as follows.
- Visual elements play an important role
It has a huge impact on how we perceive service in a short amount of time. Also, the main target group is general citizens so a visual element that everyone can be satisfied with is needed.
- A ‘challenge’ section
When the user reaches a daily, monthly or yearly goal, he gets a virtual badge. This idea -collecting items to encourage users to use the application- was derived from ‘ludic lens’ learned from the previous course ‘Persuasive Experiences’.
The research brought me several aspects to focus on for the project.
I considered that the target users prefer to use an application that has less of a childish theme. The term ‘childish’ is applied to the use of characters, fonts, colours, and even the words.
- Brand identity
To give a distinguishable identity to the application and to make target users feel more related while using the application, I added a blue goose that laid golden eggs as the main character because of its economical meaning. In terms of colour usage, the blue-green tone relates to the brand identity of the company.
Based on the research data, I created the low-fidelity prototype to the high-fidelity prototype. During the process, the design had to be revised due to the feedback from the stakeholder. And the progress can be seen below. Adobe XD was used.